Thursday, October 14, 2010

To the Little Ones - Love Your Hair!!


credit - http://www.theroot.com/buzz/emsesame-streetem-tells-girls-love-their-hair

And Whip it too!!! This is such a cute video. And the young woman singing has a lovely voice. It's catchy song too - "I wear braids and pigtails too, I love all the things my hair can do!" So so so true!!!! Great song not just for little girls but for big girls too!

This leads me to a larger question - Can this Sesame Street video help young kids break the racial stereotypes instilled in them, as demonstrated by the 1940s Clark Doll Experiment or the recent doll test conducted by CNN and help them embrace their own unique identity and the differences in others?

Keep in mind the words of Whitney Houston - "I believe the children are our future. Teach them well and let them lead the way. SHOW THEM ALL THE BEAUTY THEY POSSESS INSIDE."

1 comment:

  1. LOVE IT!!!! I was reading the comments to the video of course there will always be haters but I applaud SS for seeing the importance in leveling the self-perception playing field for our little brown ones.

    ReplyDelete